Pages

Saturday 20 September 2014

EN: My First Regatta with the Nordic Rowing Club of Zurich


After a few months as an active rower of the Nordic Rowing Club of Zurich, I have now participated in my first regatta. Okay, it was a club competition and the distance was only 300 meters, but still.

 As for the result, I have no reason to be satisfied. I took position as "stroke" in our four-man-boat - and thus set the rhythm of the oars - and thereby strongly contributed to our boat losing balance, since I was rowing at a too stressed pace. Of the two novice boats, we took the anything but honouring second place.

From a social point of view, I am all the more content. For many people from the Nordic Countries, the Nordic Rowing Club is in Zurich just a party venue, but this year we are a relatively large group of new members who actually practise rowing as well. And who wants to continue to competing in regattas.

Already in my second race of the day - in boats where we mixed novices and experienced rowers - the pieces somehow fell into place. I am a competitive person, so a start signal triggers an adrenaline rush. And that is exactly what you must learn to keep under control in a sport where faster movements are not necessarily better.

 

 

 

- - - 
Deutsche Version (kommt mit der Zeit...) 
Svensk version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love feedback!