Pages

Monday 11 August 2014

EN: Learning to Row at the Nordic Rowing Club of Zurich


I have previously told you that I have started to help out organising parties at the Nordic Rowing Club of Zurich (Nordiska Roddföreningen i Zürich), but since a few months back, I am finally able to also participate in the main activity of the association, i.e. rowing.

The introduction course took place a late May weekend under the best possible conditions – we had a brilliant sunshine over Lake Zurich and I enjoyed this from the first moment. Sure, as a beginner you tend to get callused hands, but that just feels good if you, like me, have practised gymnastics in your youth.

Nowadays I row regularly and am absolutely grateful for how fortunate we Scandinavians and Finns are. Just imagine that we can approach a sport which is typical for Zurich and its surroundings and at the same time get to know and socialize with people from our own small countries. On top of this, our Rowing Club has a long history - it was founded back in 1878, before the union between Sweden and Norway was dissolved - and that is the spice on the cake. Access to Nordic beer and a genuine sauna forms part of its cultural heritage. I promise to preserve it well. ;)





- - -
Deutsche Version (kommt bald)
Svensk version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love feedback!